Joint Action Achieving Comprhensive Coordination in Organ Donation throughout the European Union
ACCORD intends to strengthen the full potential of Member States in the field of organ donation and transplantation in order to improve the cooperation between them and to contribute to the effective implementation of the EU Directive 2010/53/EU and the Action Plan on Organ Donation and Transplantation (2009-2015): Strengthened Cooperation between MS. In particular, ACCORD intends to:
- Improve Member States information systems on live organ donation through the provision of recommendations on the design and management of structured live organ donor registries and through setting down a model for supranational data sharing in this field.
- Describe the usual pathways applied to patients with a devastating brain injury and to explore their impact on the potential of donation and on the realization of the deceased donation process across European Union countries.
- Develop and prove by implementation an acceptable and effective rapid improvement toolkit that supports modifications in end-of-life management that promote donation, adapted to each identified end-of-life care model.
- Implement practical collaborations between European Union countries for the transfer of knowledge, expertise or tools in specific areas related to the Directive 2010/53/EU and the Action Plan on Organ Donation and Transplantation (2009-2015), based on comprehensive and specifically prepared protocols.
- To provide recommendations for future twinning initiatives in organ donation and transplantation.
- To disseminate and ensure the sustainability of the results and products of the ACCORD project.